How To Polish A Concrete Floor?
For several reasons concrete flooring is becoming popular - people prefer it to other types of floorings including granite and marble floors. It is economical, easy to maintain and durable. It is versatile and reduces allergens found in wooden or carpeted floors. However, over time it has to be polished for maintaining its sheen and beauty.
Here Xtreme Polishing Systems brings to you a complete guide to 'How to Polish Concrete Floors DIY'.
- First and the foremost, decide what level of sheen you may prefer to have at the end to meet your requirements - both maintenance and aesthetic.
- Now, collect the things you may need:
- Concrete floor grinder
- Metal bonded diamond grit discs - 30, 80, ad 150
- Resin bonded diamond discs - 100 to 3000
- Ear plugs
- Safety glasses
- Dust mask
- Hard drying filler or cement epoxy
- Cement hardener
- Either buy your own concrete grinder or rent it from a hardware store. They usually are of two types including wet and dry. Where the dry grinder uses a vacuum method to grab the dust; the wet grinder uses water and does not pollute the air. The wet grinder results in more mess.
- Make sure you wear safety equipment to prevent any accidents.
- Fit the diamond abrasive discs to the grinder. Start with bristly grit level and work your way to the finer grit disc to bring back the luster of the floors. The coarse grit abrasives will remove any coating and will smooth out the floor.
- Pry for any cracks and fill them with cement epoxy or hardeners.
- Always start grinding from the corners towards the remaining area. Start with 30 grit discs and end up with a 150 grit disc to achieve the desired results.Once you are done with grinding, apply chemical concrete hardeners to provide high gloss look to the concrete.
Finally, polish the floor with resin-bonded diamond discs again starting with a 100 grit disc and then with 400 grit, 800 grit and so on. For maximum sheen use up to 3000 grit discs. Remember that higher the grit number, the finer the abrasive.
Now after knowing how to polish concrete floor, you may also know that you could choose from various selection of finishes:
- For ground concrete 20 to 100 grit grinding is preferred
- For honed concrete 200 to 400 grit polishing is an ideal choice
- For low sheen polishing 400 to 800 grit abrasives should be chosen
- For high shine polishing increase the grit and chose between 800 to 3000 grit polishing
Although you may now know how to polish concrete, it is strongly advised to hire a contractor to do so for you. Xtreme Polishing Systems offers high-end concrete flooring solutions. We promise to make your floors look spectacular at surprisingly low cost!