Understanding the A to Z of Epoxy Floors
Epoxy floors offer a reliable and durable surface for commercial, residential and industrial flooring. Epoxy floor coatings are normally applied over concrete floors to provide a high performance, smooth and durable surface that can last many years and withstand heavy loads. So many industrial buildings, warehouses, and commercial buildings require to have epoxy floors as they need to maintain the floors in perfect conditions, and the only way or easiest way is by installing epoxy floors.
Epoxy Floor Coatings
epoxy coating will need a slightly porous and cleaned surface to adhere properly. It is important to patch and repair all major cracks and chips before applying the epoxy. Epoxy coatings shall not be applied over smooth or unprepared concrete, the surface must be old enough or profiled to ensure a durable adherence. Be sure to remove all grease before applying the coating. Test the surface for previous layers of epoxy or other products that might have been applied over the years.
When testing for for sealant, pour a small amount of water onto the floor. It should soak in. Depending on the product being applied, you might need to apply epoxy paint and a topcoat. Before applying the epoxy coating make sure that the temperature is adequate and follow manufacturer's recommendations. If applied at different temperatures than the ones specified, the application can bubble and peel. Once you have mixed the product you have a specific time to apply the epoxy coating before it starts to harden.
The primer is applied just like paint and allowed to settle for several hours before the epoxy goes on. To apply cover the floor with a thin layer of water and place all the epoxy on the ground. Using a roller squeegee, spread the epoxy out in a thin layer across the entire floor space. When the primer has dried apply the second coat. The finisher is applied in the same manner as the primer, minus the water basing.
Epoxy floor coatings offer many advantages when compared to other traditional coatings applied over concrete. The following are considered to be the most important:
- Epoxy coatings will create a shiny, high gloss surface. The brightness of an area with epoxy flooring can be increased by 200%.
- It offers a hard wearing durable surface able to withstand heavy and continuous traffic.
- Epoxy floors are fast and easy to install.
- Durable and easy to clean.
- Ideal for warehouses and industrial applications, and sometimes no paint is required over the epoxy finishing.
- Resists oil stains, beads water, and wipes super clean and will create a seamless surface
- Epoxy floors, when applied properly can last several years.
- Can be combined with paints and colors to mask off chips and cracks.
- Provides a chemically resistant surface ideal for manufacturing plants.
- Epoxy floors offer enhanced safety by creating an anti-slip surface and heat resistant solution to concrete floors.
- Numerous color options are available, the variation are literally ENDLESS!
- Prevent wear and tear on the existing concrete floor.
- Epoxy floors are considered environmentally friendly solutions.
- Some of the products used can also be combined with self-leveling products that can be applied over new or old concrete.
- Require little or no major maintenance.
Resources, Guidance and Support
Concrete all around the world has long dominated industries, particularly flooring, because of its exceptional durability, zero-maintenance and simply pleasant appearance that it delivers.
Xtreme Polishing Systems supplies the industry with innovative and professional concrete polishing and decorative concrete products, equipment, chemicals and so much more. Our professionals are specially trained with our products and will deliver the fundamental guidance and customer service when preparing and executing a concrete floor.
The experts at Xtreme Polishing Systems understand that every surface can variate in properties, therefore each slab must be treated differently. We’re here to guide you in the proper direction, so please call us at (877) 958-5732 with any questions regarding ‘Understanding the A to Z of Epoxy Floors‘ or visit our website and browse our products today. Whether you’re a new business owner, flooring subcontractor, DIYer, craftsmen, artist, existing business or homeowner, our exquisite product selection and extensive industry experience will assist you every step of the way, from start to finish.